7 Quick and Easy Natural Beauty Tips for Healthy Skin
Experts say that most of the damage you do to your skin happens before your 20s but, really, it’s never too late to start taking better care of your skin. As a former sun worshipper, I have invested a good amount of energy trying to repair the skin damage from my youth. In my early 20s, I spent summers baking in the sun (regrettably). As I approached 30, I swore I would start wearing moisturizer with SPF on the daily. Then came 30, and I took my efforts to the next level with facials and a few more exotic products, like creams containing snail extract. And I here I am, on the edge of 40, and finally settled into a simple natural beauty routine devoid of harsh chemicals, but with some pretty powerful results. Better late than never, right?
Starting a new natural beauty routine is about more than just avoiding toxic skincare ingredients, it’s about beautifying yourself from the inside out. Slathering on face creams won’t fix anything if you’re not properly taking care of your body and mind - you’ve got to build healthy habits first. And with jobs, families and life in general, it can be hard to find time to take care of yourself (trust me, I know). The good news is that there are plenty of quick, natural ways to get a healthy-looking glow that won’t interfere with your busy lifestyle, and we’ve found them.
Here are just a few simple, healthy habits you can adopt to freshen up your skin:
- 1. Stay hydrated on the go: Hydrating your skin starts from the inside out, so try to drink more than the recommended eight glasses of water daily. While properly hydrating isn’t necessarily going to reverse wrinkles (I wish), it will prevent cell damage and help your skin maintain its elasticity. Keep an earth-friendly 20oz Klean Kanteen on hand and see if you can consume at least four full bottles daily. #goals. (side note: I prefer Klean Kanteen because it’s dishwasher safe and they make a mini-me version for my kids).
- 2. Cleanse but don’t strip: Adequately moisturizing your face starts with your cleanser. Common ingredients in facial cleansers can strip your skin, creating an imbalance in your skin’s natural pH, and leave it feeling tight and dry. Try a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin or, better yet, a pH-balancing cleanser that will remove impurities while balancing your skin. I love using a gentle oil cleanser and taking a minute to massage in the cleanser to tone my facial muscles.
- 3. Out with the old (skin): Exfoliate regularly to slough off dead skin cells and bring new skin to the surface. Healthy skin exfoliates on its own, but as you get older, the process slows down and your skin needs a little extra help. Juice Beauty has an amazing exfoliating peel spray infused with fruit stem cells that gives your skin a healthy, natural glow.
- 4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize: My skin is extremely dry, so immediately after I wash my face, I slather on face oil AND moisturizer (to save time, you can mix a few drops of oil into your moisturizer). Even if your skin isn’t super dry, adding face oil to your natural beauty regimen keeps your skin balanced and replenished. My absolute favorite is Jurlique’s Skin Balancing Face Oil because it absorbs quickly, isn’t greasy, and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth (just like type:A!). If you’re prone to breakouts, then try 100% Squalane Oil from Biossance – it’s a lightweight face oil that helps reduce redness and irritation.
- 5. Boost your SPF from the inside out: Everyone knows you shouldn’t leave the house without SPF on your face, but did you know you can further protect your skin from the sun with a vitamin? Sundots are gummy vitamins that contain polypodium leucotomos, a fern extract that can help the body resist sun damage. This ingredient has been used all over the world and now, after thorough research to make sure it’s safe, a kick-butt Harvard skin scientist has brought it to the states. Sweet gummies that protect my skin? Yes please.
- 6. Accessorize: Wear a large hat and sunglasses. Go ahead, pretend you’re famous. Not only will you look like a celebrity, but you’ll also be further protecting your skin from sun damage. Sunglasses stop you from squinting and also cover up the very delicate skin surrounding your eyes, preventing the number 11 from forming between your brows and crow’s feet.
- 7. Chill out: Life gets crazy sometimes and stress is a killer for your skin, so try to relax. Easier said than done, I know, but all you need is a few minutes and an app, like Headspace, to get your meditation on. Take a yoga class or, if you’re short on time, try this free 1-minute meditation to combat stress.
After a long day of packing it all in, the one place where you shouldn’t try to keep it quick is at bedtime. Puffy eyes and dark circles are both caused by lack of sleep so, if you can, meditate yourself right into a full seven or eight hours of shuteye. Because nothing, and I mean nothing, will bring about your natural beauty like a solid night of sleep.
Healthy skin starts with healthy underarms. Looking for a healthy, safe deo that actually works? Head on over to our shop.
Also in The A Life
The fact is guys sweat a lot, and that sweat can cause major B.O. Here’s what to look for, what to stay away from and why clean, safe ingredients make all the difference when it comes to choosing the best men's deodorant.
When you make the switch from regular deodorant or antiperspirant to a natural or aluminum-free deodorant, there can be a transition period. Here’s what to expect when swapping out your antiperspirant (and how to make the switch without inviting irritation and odors along for the ride).
Those weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve can also be a nightmare for your usual schedule but, just because you're home for the holidays, doesn't mean you should skip your workout! Try these fun and easy workouts to stick to your fitness plan during the holiday rush.